I’m getting tired of doing this. It takes me two to three hours each day to put this together. Admittedly, I would spend the time anyway, but it is a drag knowing that even when I’m tired or sick, I’m still obliged (if only by myself) to determine what is most interesting and important and to write it up. Hopefully it is a good exersize. I’m sure it will eventually end.
- Acronym of the day: IOKIYAR. It means, “It’s OK If You’re A Republican.” Thanks for Professor Krugman for that one.
- After Alan Simpson claimed that Social Security was a “milk cow with 310 million tits,” many people are calling for his firing from the deficit commission—include Paul Krugman.
- I’m sure you’ve heard about the Florida Church—The Dove World Outreach Center!— planning an “International Burn a Quran Day” on September 11. To protect the event, an armed Christian organization—Right Wing Extreme—has stepped in. Don’t you love these names?
- Despite what I said yesterday, incumbent Senator Lisa Murkowski seems to have lost to teabagger Joe Miller. This may be good for the Democrats, however; Miller’s positions are extreme and may be harmful in the general election.
- Rick Scott beat attorney general Bill McCollum for the Florida GOP governors primary. Scott won in the way that is the fashion of modern American politics: he is rich and has spent many millions of his money to buy the election. Again, there is good news: he is a deeply flawed candidate.
- Officials are telling the trapped miners to get lots of exersize so they will be able to get through the escape tunnel they are drilling. On the plus side, some experts are saying that they could be out within a month. Thus far, no one has told the miners that the current estimate is four months. Not as well reported is the fact that the mining company did not install a ladder that was required by law. If they had, the miners would have been out in 48 hours.