Donald Trump was on 60 Minutes last night for what turned out to be a softball interview. He was allowed to say anything and wasn’t countered on anything. I watched just two minutes of it and was overwhelmed with everything he said that was flat out wrong.
- Donald Trump: “We need strong borders. We have people coming to our country who can't be vetted properly. They don't have paperwork. They don't have anything. We don't even know where they come from.”
- This is a lie. Trump is well aware of the fact that the United States has an extensive vetting program in place for those who seek refugee status in the United States.
- Donald Trump: “Look, we have people that hate us. We have people that want to wipe us out. We have people that, if given the chance, will try to wipe us out.”
- This is glaringly inaccurate. ISIS is not in favor of wiping us out for no reason. They have a real desire to establish a purely Islamic state based on the time from about 2 centuries after the Prophet Mohammad existed. By now, Trump should know this and to say otherwise is a lie.
- Donald Trump: “And, as you know and as everyone knows, I was against the war in Iraq. I was totally against it, because I said it would destabilize the Middle East. And it has. That's exactly what has happened. It was a very bad decision. The way President Obama got us out of that war was a disaster.”
- No we don’t know. Because the only thing he said about it was in March of 2003 when he said it was a mess. Not that he opposed it. Opposing a poorly run war is not opposing the actual start of the war.
- Donald Trump: “And we are going to have surrounding states and very importantly, get NATO involved, because we support NATO far more than we should, frankly, because you have a lot of countries that are not doing what they are supposed to be doing.”
- NATO has been involved in dealing with the Syrian and ISIS war since 2014. The individual member states are all involved and have been working to get rid of the group.
- Donald Trump: “We have to wipe out ISIS. And speaking of Turkey, Turkey is an ally. Turkey can do it by themselves. But they have to be incentivized. For whatever reason, they are not. So, we have no choice.”
- Actually this is something Turkey has said they can’t do themselves and they asked for help a long time ago.
- Donald Trump: “Hillary Clinton invented ISIS with her stupid policies. She is responsible for ISIS. She led Barack Obama, because I don't think he knew anything. I think he relied on her.”
- A woman. Invented a misogynist regime that enslaves women. No.
That was two minutes of Donald Trump on what was once a great place for reporting.