Here is what to expect, even with the sharp divisions between establishment and insurgents:
- Repeal of the Affordable Care Act, President Obama’s signature accomplishment, ending health care for more than 20 million people, many with pre-existing conditions.
- Appointment of a Supreme Court justice who could provide the fifth vote to overturn Roe v Wade, the 1973 case that established a woman’s limited right to an abortion.
- Repeal of Dodd-Frank and other rules that prevent banks from engaging in the kind of practices that sank the economy in 2008…
- Cutting regulations on coal-fired power plants, pipelines, and fracking for oil and natural gas, making America a pariah in a world where — among other major countries — climate change is accepted as serious science.
- Smaller budgets for the IRS and the Education and Labor Departments, together with big spending increases for the Pentagon, especially for weapons purchases…
Unclear is whether we will see law enforcement deployed against minorities, immigrants, journalists, and political dissidents. But be wary, very wary, for the man just elected to the White House has again and again said that his personal philosophy is revenge.
—David Cay Johnston
Why Voters Elected President Donald J Trump — and Why They’ll Regret It